Spay and Neuter for Cats and Dogs in Leesburg, VA
Spay and neuter surgery has loads of benefits for cats, dogs, rabbits, and ferrets. It is the only full proof method for preventing unwanted litters. Unexpected litters contribute significantly to pet overpopulation, where far too many pets face euthanasia because shelters are at capacity and there's nowhere else for them to go. When you spay or neuter your pet, you contribute to a healthier, more stable pet population. Not only that, but your pet prospers significantly from the surgery, too.
Call us at (703) 777-3313 for your next consultation.
Spay and Neuter for a Longer Life
Spaying and neutering dogs and cats helps them to live longer than their intact counterparts. The reasons are many and involve both medical and behavioral benefits. While not all benefits directly relate to a longer life, they do contribute to a happier one—for both them and you. Benefits of spay and neuter surgeries include:
- Reduced inclination to roam (which results in too many escaped pets who suffer car injuries)
- Less likely to exhibit urine-marking behavior
- Males are less inclined to mount, bark excessively, or exhibit other dominance-related behaviors
- No heat cycles for females, which can be a frustrating and messy experience (for both them and you!)
- Less aggression in males
- Reduced risk of mammary tumors in females
- Reduced risk of prostate problems in males
- Zero risk of uterine infection (pyometra), uterine cancer, or ovarian cancer in females
- Zero risk of testicular cancer in males
When to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
Typically, the guideline for a spay or neuter surgery is at about 6 months of age. However, many factors can change this timeline. At LVH, we take into consideration your pet’s age, size, breed, physical confirmation, etc., so it’s best to speak to your veterinarian about an appropriate timeline for your pet. Call us today to set up a consultation appointment and we can get your pet on the path to a longer, healthier life with you!